Contesting/Contested Memories: The Holocaust in the Twenty-First Century
Date: 9-11 February 2012 Time: 12.30 pm
Venue: Bowland North Seminar Room 2 and FASS, Meeting Room 2
The Dynamics of Memories Research Group are holding a two day conference on the Holocaust in February 2012.
Presentation Sessions will be held at Lancaster University
Papers presented at the conference to include:-
- Malgorzata Fabiszak (Poznan, Poland), 'Memory and Commemoration in Text and Image'
- Lars Fischer (CJCR, Cambridge, UK), 'Socialists grappling with the Shoah: Early Post-War Responses'
- Andre Gingrich (Vienna, Austria), 'Racism, Modernist Theories and 'Applied' Practices: Anthropology in Germany and Austria during the Nazi years (1933-1945)'
- David I. Hanauer (Pennsylvania, USA) 'The Discursive Construction of the Stolper Steine Memorial Project: Official, Educational and Familial Meanings'
- Dovid Katz (Vilnius, Lithuania), 'The Prague Declaration: Writing the Holocaust out of History'
- Andreas Musolff, (Norwich, UK) - 'Metaphorization of Holocaust memory and false historical analogy in antisemitic discourse'
- David Seymour (Lancaster, UK) 'The Visibility of the Holocaust and the Invisibility of Antisemitism'
- Tracey Skillington (Cork, Ireland), 'UN Holocaust Commemoration in a Post-Secular Age'
- Karin Stoeger (Vienna, Austria), 'Antisemitism in Austrian Media Discourses on the Financial Crisis'
- Ruth Wodak (Lancaster, UK), '"That is how it is written in the schoolbooks!": Calculated ambivalence and Holocaust denial in Austria'
The Presentation Panels will be followed by a Round Table Discussion and public event at The Dukes Theatre, Lancaster
The conference is FREE to attend
Contact: Please register by contacting Oliver Wilkinson by 9 January 2012
Event website: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fass/groups/dynamicsofmemories/
Who can attend: Anyone